Показать сообщение отдельно
31.03.2015, 08:40
Dogcat
Super Moderator

Вес репутации: 62
Dogcat is a glorious beacon of lightDogcat is a glorious beacon of lightDogcat is a glorious beacon of lightDogcat is a glorious beacon of lightDogcat is a glorious beacon of lightDogcat is a glorious beacon of light
Цитата:
The issue of the proper placement of “only” has long been argued among grammarians. Many careful writers will insist that “only” be placed immediately before the word or phrase it modifies. Thus “I only gave him three dollars” would be rewritten as “I gave him only three dollars.”
Some grammarians, however, have argued that such precision is not really necessary, that there is no danger of misreading “I only gave him three dollars” and that “only” can safely and naturally be placed between the subject and the verb. The argument has been going on for two hundred years.
Я за второй вариант, в свой речи я ставлю only перед смысловым глаголом, а не перед "модифицируемой группой". Только надо добавить, что стоит быть поаккуратней быть в ситуациях, когда это only может реально изменить смысл.
Цитата:
He only jogged back to the jeep when he saw the rhinos approaching. {Он только отошёл назад, а ему стоило побежать.}

He jogged back to the jeep only when he saw the rhinos approaching. {Он начал отходить только когда увидел, что они подходят, а ему стоило начать это делать раньше, как только он их увидел.

Возвращаясь к вашему примеру. Александра вам расписала то, как был бы передан смысл, который вы вкладываете в название песни. Прочесть его как "только побеждают" очень-очень-очень сложно.

Последний раз редактировалось Dogcat; 31.03.2015 в 08:42.
Dogcat вне форума   Ответить с цитированием